Here is a fun twist on the American Burger :
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 3 slices process American cheese
- 4 slices white bread (heels of loaf recommended)
- 2 tablespoons prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 pearl onions, thinly sliced
- 4 baby dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 3 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Shape beef into twelve 1-in. patties. Place on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with another paper towel; microwave on high for 1 minute until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Cut each slice of cheese into fourths; set aside.
- Using a 1-in. round cookie cutter, cut out six circles from each slice of bread. Spread half of the bread circles with dressing. Layer with burgers, cheese, onions, pickles and tomatoes. Top with remaining bread circles; secure with toothpicks. Yield: 1 dozen.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving equals 68 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
More Fun Recipes at: